Sunday, January 18, 2015

chinese class...

As I had said earlier, we are taking a Chinese course...it is hands down one of the hardest classes I have taken in my entire life.  Seriously, I have never studied so hard in my entire life!  We have to learn the pinyin (putting the correct tones in the word), the characters, and the English translation. Our teacher, whom we call laoshi (means teacher in Chinese is a hard woman who terrifies me and amazes me. She really is an impressive woman and a brilliant Chinese teacher, she just kind of intimidates me.  Chinese characters make sense but I am finding it to be quite the challenge to remember everything.  We have class three days out of the week for three hours at a time.  Needless to say, I had a splitting headache after our first class.  Thankfully, things started to get easier and made more sense.  Today we received our Chinese names!  On one of our first days of class, laoshi asked us all what we enjoyed in life.  When it got to be my turn I told her I loved to run.  Today she told me that my Chinese name would be Feng Jin Ma, which means golden horse!  I approve.